April 16, 2014

Just 18 Summers

Just 18 Summers
by Rene Gutteridge & Michelle Cox

http://just18summers.com/

Just 18 Summers was a very sweet book about the different stages of family. Each chapter of the book was written from the viewpoint of a different character though so sometimes it was a little hard to follow. I did enjoy the different perspectives but at times it just seemed like there were a few too many perspectives.





However, the different perspectives were very interesting. I really liked how each of the four families in the story were at different stages of life. One family was expecting their first child and going through all the emotions involved with preparing to become parents. Another family is dealing with the grief after loosing a wife/mother. The third family has a daughter getting married and a son getting ready to go off to college and they are dealing with a lot of transitions. And the fourth and final family in the story has children they are so busy providing material things for that they forget to provide them with the love and attention they desperately need.

With so many different story lines you are so to be able to identify with at least one of the families. Parts of the book will make you laugh, some will make you cry, and others will just make you think and possibly re-evaluate your own life.

I really love how each of the characters had their own individual moments of figuring out what the really important things are in life. I especially loved the moments when they realized that doing things on their own strength wasn't the best way. There were some profound moments of prayer that really spoke to me.

I'd recommend this book to anyone that wants to have children, already does of any age, or even to the empty-nesters as they possibly approach the years of grand-parenting.

This book was provided to me by the publisher, Tyndale Fiction, in exchange for my honest review.

Don't forget you can sign up to earn rewards through Tyndale and earn free books! Tyndale Rewards!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for taking time to read and review Just 18 Summers. It would make a great Mother's Day gift! I hope folks will also visit us at our parenting blog at just18summers.com.

    I love Costa Rica and beans and rice. I went there on a mission trip several years ago and fell in love with the people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did put the link to your blog at the top of the review :)

      Thanks for visiting my site! And I agree, Costa Ricans are wonderful and it is a beautiful country.

      Delete